Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 11:27:48 +1200
I'm trying to figure out what makes a good ferret book.  What do people
think is needed in a good ferret book about basic ferret care?  I know
that I personally like to see information on basic needs, cage sizing, play
time, dietary needs, ferret proofing, toys and similar.  Some information
on breeding as well is welcome, since it's so hard to find information -
particularly on the *risks* of breeding.  But those are the sorts of things
that *I* think a ferret book needs.  In recognising that my needs or
desires (what I think makes a good ferret book) could be different from
others... I'm wondering what things *other* people think is necessary in
a ferret book.

I'm mainly asking out of interest, since I've been looking through some
ferret books lately and found they have varying amounts of 'useful'
information.  Some have lots of good information on things I don't want to
know about, others have little pieces of information on everything, and yet
others have not much of anything other than pretty pictures and bad info.
Some are hard to read, others are simple... In seeing all of these I'm
wondering whether I can judge what's a 'good' book and what isn't.  Some
are oustanding (I love Mary Schefferman's book "Guide to a happy healthy
pet: Ferret") and others are terrible (has anyone seen that 24-odd page all
pictures booklet sold in the pet stores as a "complete guide to ferrets"??
ugh)

Okay, I'm rambling again and not sure if I'm wording it right :o)
Essentially what I'm asking is this... if there was ever anything you
wanted to be in a basic ferret care book, what was it?  I think shelters
may have a good idea on what they would have in a book, since they're the
ones who have to deal with the uneducated owners on a constant basis.

Your help is appreciated, even if only to satisfy my curiosity :o)

Thanks,

Sam

To see some awesome ferret cards, drop in on
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~fanmail/cards/ferretcard.htm