From:
Rob Trsek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:50:25 -0500
Please help us!  We have a ferret that is having a problem that our vets
can't diagnose.

He is about 5 years old with adrenal disease.  He has had his left
adrenal removed, a partial on the right, and a partial on his pancreas.
He recovered from both surgeries very well, which were over a year ago
and about 5 months ago for the pancreas.  His glucose is good.  He is on
petenic .3 cc twice a day for boosting his iron.  He has been playful,
eats well and has consistent weight.

Recently we went on a trip and left him and our five other ferrets with a
friend who is very familiar with ferrets (he has 16 and many years under
his belt).  During our trip one of our old ferrets got sick and her liver
failed and we ended up putting her to sleep 2 days ago.  Yesterday we
noticed our boy's rear foot was swollen and he was limping.  Today all
three of his other feet have swollen and his temperature has risen to
104.  He refuses to walk and he is now being force fed.  Our local
doctors are recommending antibiotics and an IV for fluids until his
bloodwork comes back.  His X-rays didn't show anything of significance.
I have no ultrasound information.  These are ferret doctors, one of
which performed his right adrenal and pancreas surgery.

I would like to know if you have heard of anything like this before and
if you have any different recommendations regarding what our vets have
prescribed.

Thank you very much in advance.  We've already lost one ferret this week.

Rob & Becky