From:
Date:
Fri, 22 May 1998 09:59:41 -0700
>From:    Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: DC Legalization
>As far as DC goes-- Who is working on that effort???  Perhaps the AFA
>may have a group-- if so it has not been very vocal and we do not see
>updates on the progress.

The DC coalition is being assisted by the AFA but this is a local issue as
is the California legalization.  The AFA perfers to handle local issues in a
support manner.  As we remember LOS has at least offered support.  One
pseudo-national group declined to support unfortunately.  It is really silly
to play politics against other ferret people on these issues but it happens.

Diane Rogers was running the organizational meetings but with the way DC
politics run more support fro DC residents is needed.  We are now almost two
hours away from DC and can not take a more active role at this time.  Diane
does have a position with the AFA as chair of the Legislative and Legal
Affairs Committee.  She also led the coalition that improved the ferret laws
in Maryland.

Both the Maryland effort and the DC effort have successfully avoided most
of the old interpersonal politics and in fact are a strong sign that the
political wars are over except for a few remaining partisans.

Contact Diane Rogers at [log in to unmask] (as published on the
AFA page.  If we can get some DC folks to volunteer it would be great!

Diane is a very busy person (if you read articles such as Sukie's you'll
know that.  Hey maybe some DC residents can volunteer to run the danged
legalization efforts and let Diane concentrate on her own state/city and
her AFA commitments.

>I myself am curious as to WHY ferrets are illegal within the District of
>Ciolumbia, so perhaps some well informed reader can enlighten us as to
>why DC says poo-poo to ferrets.

Same illogical reasons as any other place ferrets are illegal.  With all
the rats in the city you'd think they'd want a natural enemy of the Norway
rat in town.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/