From:
Pat Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 08:39:53 -0700
A lot of people have misunderstood what I tried to say about ferrets in
California.  In my anger - I did not make myself clear.

What I give up on is the idea of ferret legalization in California.  I
don't think it is possible because California is not fertile ground for
personal liberty.  I've been in court for years, I've spent about
$60,000, half of it mine,half of it raised.  For the Court of Appeals to
reject ferret legalization because ferrets "attack babies, shred tissue,
drink blood and bite in a machine-gun style" shows that they didn't even
read our brief.  They probably didn't even read their decision.  I had
one state senator tell me that ten years ago, and I said, if that
happened, wouldn't those attacks be in the newspaper?  He replied, yes,
it was a ridiculous argument.  Then he said, "Look, they have the power -
you don't, ferrets will never be legal."

We've also done the rallies, posters, letter writing campaigns, etc.  I
ran for lt governor of California as a "Ferret Legalization Coordinator"
and received fewer votes than any Libertarian on the state-wide ballot.
The only thing we haven't done is a ballot issue.  I don't think we can
attempt to collect 900,000 signatures to put the ferret issue on the
ballot in this huge state.

There is some hope in our state's recall election, but Arnold S is a big
disappointment.  He won't answer any questions, even on talk radio.  His
campaign manager is Pete Wilson, who is as evil as our current governor,
but smarter; a dangerous combination.  Cruz Bustamante, who is likely to
be our next governor might be a good man, but he will have a lot going
on, and if even mentions ferrets the press will ridicule him.

So, I think the ferret community in California will have to settle in
doing clandestine rescue services and helping our fellow outlaws in
owning these wonderful animals.