From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 09:09:37 -0500
>We'd like to help him get over this habit (?) and would welcome
>suggestions.  We won't go the 'nose flicking' route, but if anyone has any
>other suggestions, we'd appreciate it alot!!
>Jim and Laura

Ok, so you're against nose-flicking.  You are not alone in this sentiment,
and others have posted alternative methods including:
a) giving the "Bitter Apple" finger.
b) a finger in the mouth pressing down on the back of the tongue to
   elicit a gag reflex(a brave move, but it works).
c) the "Bitter Apple" Q-tip.

Please remember Bitter Apple contains rubbing alcohol, which is highly
toxic, so allow time for this to evaporate before using on your fuzzbutt.
You can use a litter sour salt and white vinegar as a substitute.

>Although I've seen a lot of posts recommending Pepto-Bismol, my vet
>advised against it.  Besides the point that ferrets really don't like it,
>he believes that the coating action may interfere with the absorption of
>nutrients, which is especially important when it comes to diarrhea.
>Michelle Nadorozny

Hey, my Foster *loves* Pepto Bismol!  But you are right, there is some
disagreement between practitioners on its efficacy in helicobacter tx.
However, I have not had any problems with my brood.  As far as your concern
for diarrhea, Pepto actually helps in mild cases, and does offer some
stomach relief that Pepcid sometimes fails to do, especially in the
immediate sense.  The gastro-intestinal tract of ferrets appears to be most
delicate.  Some believe meds like Immodium AD and Kaopectate for diarrhea
can also exacerbate certain conditions as to the causes of the diarrhea by
inhibiting the natural course of the immune system's response and the
evacuation of any invading bacteria.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi