From:
pat martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 1997 13:13:23 -0500
I was a member of the FML for quite some time approximately a year ago.  I
am glad to be back.  I write this message in hopes that anyone can give me
feedback.  Approximately 10 days ago my ferrets (I have four; ages 2-3.5)
started to pass green stools that were loose and watery.  In addition, they
were very "mucussy".  In addition, I noticed minor vomiting from one of the
ferrets at about that time.  Although I have not seen any vomiting since
then, as the course of their illness progressed, their stools became
extremely watery, and ranged in color from green to a flouresent
brownish-yellow.  Moreover, I also noticed that their stools gave off an
unpleasant antiseptic odor.  Last weekend, my vet (who does not have a great
deal of experience working with ferrets) checked their stool for parasites,
and found none.  On Wednesday, I started to become concerned about weight
loss.  I brought my ferrets to the vet and found that they have all lost
between 20-28% of their weight.  My vet recommended that we place them on a
five day course of Albon.  After today, although there is some improvement
in their stools in terms of looseness and color, they are still discolored
and mucussy.  Behaviorally, my ferrets have decreased their activity, but
they are not lethargic.  Their gums, paws, teeth look good.  There is no
hair loss either.  Percephone, the second youngest however is extremely thin
and is becoming weak.  I spoke to my vet today and she recommended that I
give it another day.  I trace their illness to two possible events: 1) I
ferret sat 4 of my friends ferrets just prior to their becoming sick--they
have never had any real health problems and coninue to be in good health; 2)
We just bought new science diet kitten formula and maintenance formula just
prior to the onset of their illness.  When we noticed their problems, we put
them back onto their usual food regimen.  I must say that I am at a loss.
Could it be the green mystery virus?  Heliobactor?  Campabactor (sp)????
Has anyone had similar experiences?  Does anyone know what is going on?  Can
anyone recommend possible diagnostic and/or treatment regimens?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat Martin