Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:15:31 -0400
Sandi, please help my little petit Sadie Midori when you see her at the
Bridge.  She is very tiny and she was blind and deaf.  I would like you
to help her adjust to her new gifts of sight and sound.  She has never
known them and I don't wish for her to be frightened.  Also, Sadie was
afraid of other ferrets, so could you please help her adjust to her new
home?

Sadie Midori was found last year wandering in a park and was turned into
a state police barracks.  She was then handed over to the ACO in that
town who named her Statie.  The ACO had every intention of keeping Sadie
as a new companion for her ferret, but when she discovered that Sadie was
afraid of other ferrets, she contacted the MaFF Foster Coordinator.  When
I heard about Sadie, I offered to foster her, but after just one week,
decided that she was meant to stay with me.  I gave her a new name -
Sadie Midori (named for the concert violinist with the same name, which
means "precious jade").  Sadie was so tiny, weighing just over 1 pound
and was estimated to be over 5 or 6 years old.  She was quite plump and
had the shortest tail I have ever seen on a ferret.  Due to her fear of
other ferrets, I designated her playtime to be all night with me.  I
slept and she made herself at home either next to me or in a little
kiddie condo next to me.  Her favorite toy was a little stuffed cat toy,
which she lovingly placed in the same spot every night.  She did love the
cats and tried to make friends with them many times, but they would have
none of that.  They had reputations to uphold, you know...

Sadie was so loving with me and she made sure to wash my face (eyelids
included) every morning around 4AM.  I would lay there and try to endure
her rough tongue on my sensitive eyelids, but finally had to give in and
put her back in her cage for the day.

Sadie started going downhill about 2 weeks ago and everything moved very
quickly.  She lost all her weight, yet continued to eat and drink on her
own.  I returned home last night from a ferret rescue and found her
laying at the bottom on her cage.  She was cool to the touch and I knew
that her time was short.  I was prepared to sit with her through the
night and sing to her and hold her.  However, after an hour or so, she
had a convulsion that left her screaming.  I was immediately on the phone
with an emergency vet.  Sadie had another convulsion at the vet's office
and we immediately helped her to the Bridge.

Sandi, I worry so for this little bit of a girl who had so much spirit
and who was so loving.  Please help her to meet Tyler, Duchess, and
Jenny.  Please help her to trust them and learn to play and war dance
with them.  Please let her know that her Mommy misses her very much and
prays that she is safe and happy until we meet again.

Phyllis Spy