Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 2009 08:37:40 -0000
>I had a vet do an IP injection without anesthesia once. I will never
>do it again. I felt very bad, but a lot of vets think the gassing is
>very drawn out and all. It depends. If a ferret is suffering a lot as
>I mentioned before, then yes....but some ferrets, you decide to put
>them under when they are actually feeling good, because they are
>terminal or have only a day left of their life...these ferrets, like
>her, will feel the pain of the IP injection. Did she die quickly? She
>struggled after the injection, as if in a lot of pain, and then
>succumbed. Do I like that her last moments in my arms were painful?
>No....

Hi Laryssa

I've had 2 ferrets euthanised with an IP injection alone without gas.
Neither felt the injection or any pain afterwards, and both went to
sleep peacefully. The first ferret was in a bad way and was just lying
there, the second was licking a paste and then the licks became slower
and slower.

On the other hand I had a ferret anaesthetised in a gas tank which will
haunt me forever. My ferrets all hate gas. It's been upsetting for me
to see them struggle while being anaesthetised when they were already
feeling very sick and dying. But the one in the gas tank was so scared,
desperate to get out and escape the smell. To think she was in so much
fear and panic before being put to sleep...

Ulrike