From:
Mark Zmyewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 1998 08:12:14 -0500
Hi,

Mirthful Mayhem asked about Aleutian disease.  Well, I have had the
misfortune of having three of my four test positive for Aleutian.  The
fourth is a rescue and has been around my personal ferrets, shared the same
litterbox, etc.  Even though he tested negative, I am going to retest him at
the beginning of June, which will be 60 days from the last test done.

After speaking to Dr. Bruce Williams (who has to be one of the most patient
people on this planet!), I learned that Aleutian is a parvovirus.  I believe
the disease started in the mink ranches.  There is no cure.  The vaccine
companies are not even doing any research on a ferret vaccine because they
do not believe there is a "market" for it.

Dr. Williams also told me that it is not the virus itself which causes death
in the ferret, but the fact the the immune system breaks down and leaves the
ferret open to other illnesses.  I have not heard of treating ferrets with
steroids, but maybe this treatment is for an animal which has already
started showing symptoms.  I know of one person who's ferrets showed
symptoms of coughing and general paralysis.  Mine,so far, are asymptomatic.
Ferrets can go up to two years without showing symptoms, which makes the
owner think their ferret is in good health, thus letting it play with other
ferrets, share the same litterbox, etc., and placing all of the other
ferrets at risk.

I think it is a good idea that Mirthful Mayhem have her friend test her
ferrets for exposure.  A positive test result is a devasting one (it was
for me, anyway).

-Mark Zmyewski
 Cloud Nine Ferrets
 Huntsville, Alabama