From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 12:53:06 -0400
No, minor changes do NOT remove copyright protection.  Any large segment
will do for a basis to claim theft of that property, and it is theft.

I am often amazed that there are folks out there who pilfer things:
art work, writing, etc. and figure that it is there for the taking
just because if is on the internet.  Nor do properties have to carry
a copyright symbol to be protected.

Want the work of someone else?  ASK for permission to us it!  Often
enough a person will say yes or will say yes if credited, but if a person
says, "No." then an individual just has to face up to each of us having a
right to our own creations.

Vax: If a ferret reacts to more than one type of vaccine we stop
vaccinating in case there is a compound which is common to them.  Ferrets
don't get a vaccine to which they have had a serious reaction.  We also
don't vaccinate ones who are undergoing certain illnesses or medication
routines such as ones with lympho who are going through chemotherapy, as
our vet, Joe Martins (Bellemead A.H.  in NJ) advises on an individual
basis.

I know that a serious vaccine reaction is a scary thing to see.  Frankly,
I find that witnessing it is worse than going through it (except if a
panic situation occurs or if serious smothering while conscious happens).
That's just my take from having been on both sides of the fence.  It's
not that it isn't dangerous, because it usually will be fatal without
proper care, but a number of aspects look a lot worse than they feel.
The bloody runs seem to be what most causes fear in past posts, followed
by the ferret passing out.  The reason there is blood in the runs is
because the body looses fluid so rapidly in the reaction that blood cells
are actually carried across in large numbers from capillaries.  It does
NOT involve an injury or rending.  The loss of consciousness happens due
to a rapid loss of blood pressure.  Unlike humans who can stay conscious
for a very large amount of such a reaction, ferrets seem to always pass
out with it so that is easier in a way for them.

The current routine here is to use the Purevax Canine Distemper Vaccine
rather than the two alternative (Fervac, Galaxy) to which we've
encountered a lot of reactions.  Yes, there can still be reactions, but
the vets who have reported vaccinating a number of ferrets are mentioning
a reduced reaction rate so far.  Over time an over-all rate will be
better known.  Of course, for the rabies vaccine we use Imrab 3, and we
do vaccinations separately.  Our vet's preferred routine now is to give
a shot of dex shortly before the vaccination, and then we wait a the
hospital afterwards, of course.

Over 30 years ago a housemate's newly adopted dog developed canine
distemper.  She had immediately gotten her vaccinated but an exposure
apparently happened at or before the pound from which she adopted.  It
was horrible, truly heartbreaking.

Webtv: Since not being able to access Bruce Williams' site at
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html is yet another fault of webtv
why not read it at the home of a friend?

Anemia: adrenal neoplasia is among the possible causes of anemia in
ferrets.  So are ulcers.  There is info on approaches from transufsions
to Epogen to Carafate to surgery to Lupron and on (depending on cause) to
be found at http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/ , and in the Critical References
Links at http://www.ferretcongress.org/