From:
Jacqueline Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:15:28 -0600
A few months ago we adopted Chester, who looked like a healthy, normal
ferret.  Then, starting about six weeks ago, he began rapidly losing hair,
first on his belly and then tail.  It was adrenal disease, but remarkably
quick, in my experience.

Our vet, Dr. Treitler, had just read Dr. Weiss's article on adrenal
surgeries with vena cava ligation, and was willing to try it.  He also
postponed the surgery by a few days specifically to discuss the surgery
with Dr. Weiss.  When Dr. Treitler operated, he found an extremely large
adrenal gland that had grown well onto the vena cava and the liver.  He
ligated the vena cava, removed the gland, and also had to remove a section
of liver.

Major surgery.

That was last week.  To our delight, Chester seems to be doing very well!
He's up, eating, drinking, and acting like a ferret--and very bored in his
'recuperation' cage.  Although a blood clot or infection could still kill
him, he has gotten through the first five days like a champ.

I'm really grateful to both these vets for their focus on ferrets,
compassion, and expertise. Thanks, gentlemen!

Jacqueline