From:
Lesa-Marie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 08:58:38 -0400
Greg wrote:
>Why is there so many health problems with them?
>Don't get me wrong, I am doing my best to raise Max in a healthy loving
>environment and to hopefully have a long lived fuzzy to bond with and
>grow with our family..  Till the end.

Hi Greg!

I just thought I would drop you a quick note to let you know you are not
alone.  I also thought that ferrets must be very prone to illness because
of all the posts.  The truth, however, is that most ppl don't post until
their ferret is sick or they fear something is wrong.  When our ferrets get
sick, we panic and seek out ppl in the Internet for consolation, advice,
prayers, etc.  I joined a dozen different clubs and lists within a week of
my Scarlet coming down with ECE.  BTW, the help, advice and support I got
from the Internet ppl helped me save her life.  Before that, I hadn't
really noticed a need to.  Now she's been well for a year and the kit she
caught it from has never been sick and is a beautiful one-year old now.

Even though I have only experienced one illness in the house, I have
remained on all the lists to try to help others get through various
illnesses and compare helpful hints and things.  So take all the postings
with a grain of salt.  Ppl post usually when they are worried...then we
fall quiet for long periods of time.  Maybe more of us should post happy
stories hehe

I personally don't think they are any more illness-prone than any other
animal (or person).  I am also a member of several cat lists and from
reading those, you would think cats are dropping dead all over the
place...that they were very prone to expensive, painful and lengthy
illnesses.  And that's just not true either.  Same thing with fuzzies.

Knock wood that it's a long time that you or I have to post out of fear or
illness.

Hugs to you and your fuzzies!  I hope this helps put your fears to rest a
bit.  BTW, don't ever stop keeping a close eye on them, though.  Just like
human children, things can go wrong, and they have no ability to tell
you... until it's late... and when symptoms become very apparent, illness
become very hard to treat.

Hugs
LM