Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 23:07:09 +0000
Hi, everyone.
Lucky Charm, Chocolate Moose, Zipper and I returned to New Mexico this week
from our journey to Maryland to visit Dr. Weiss.  A week ago Monday (June
26), Dr. Weiss performed a partial pancreatectomy on Lucky Charm and a left
adrenalectomy on Chocolate Moose.  Their brother, Zipper, is healthy but
went along for the ride.  Both ferrets are recovering nicely.  Lucky Charm
and Chocolate Moose get their stitches out this Sunday.

Dr. Weiss discussed the biopsy results with me today, and the results were
as expected.  Lucky Charm had two islet cell tumors on her pancreas and
some liver deterioriation that is often seen in cases of insulinoma.  There
was no metastasis of any cancer into the liver.  Chocolate Moose had a
benign adrenal tumor, further evidence that his left adrenal gland should
have been removed in March when he last underwent surgery based on his
medical history of adrenal symptoms.

Both ferrets are doing very well.  Today, Chocolate Moose was playing with
Zipper like they used to do last year.  They chased each other through
their tubes and pounced on each other and even chittered a little.  Lucky
Charm, too, seemed to have more energy than she's had in a long time,
running around the house and wanting to be tickled.

While in Maryland, I met some very nice ferret lovers -

- Debbie Spring and Clare and Bill Sebok.  I was formally introduced to
two of Clare and Bill's ferrets -- Buttercup and Bridgett.  Debbie showed
me pictures of her 14 ferrets!

I saw several ferret owners with beautiful ferrets in the waiting room of
Dr. Weiss' office, too.  One man dropped off a ferret for possible surgery
along with two others to serve as blood donors if needed.  I saw a
champagne ferret for the first time.  Another poor little guy was beginning
to have mild seizures from insulimona.  They were all so very adorable.  I
didn't touch any of them because I didn't want to spread germs around, but
they were all gorgeous.

We visited Shenandoah National Park on the way home, where I pulled a tick
out of my hair the next morning as we were driving away.

We are very happy that Dr. Weiss was able to treat these conditions.  I
know they got their best possible chance for a healthy and prolonged life
by having surgery done by Dr. Weiss.  I look forward to the day when
someone of his skill is available nearby.

Meanwhile, if you live in or near New Mexico, please send me your e-mail
address and I will send you information about how we might be able to pool
our resources to get Dr. Weiss to fly out here for a day and do surgeries
and show other vets how to do them if they are interested.

Linda, Lucky Charm, Chocolate Moose, & Zipper