From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 23:53:21 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922
&messageid=5659&startid=5660

Author wrote:
>First of all, I'll put the link to my original note concerning my
>baby Madeline:
>http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922
>&messageid=5474
>
>That pretty much details what all we've done so far with her regarding
>her lymph node/tummy troubles.
>
>I have two more questions, if anyone can help.
>
>Her initial prednisone treatment was/is to go for 1 month.  Gradually
>stepping down, weekly, to try to wean her off by the end of the 1 month.
>She has two weeks to go.
>
> 1) Hopefully, this is all it takes, but from what I read, it's just
>as likely that with the allergy/EE, she'll be on pred long term.  The
>allergy/EE was diagnosed through a CBC in which the eosinphils(sp?) were
>high.  If she were to have to be on pred long term, should we have a
>stomach biopsy to be sure first?
>
>On the one hand, I don't want to subject her to an unnecessary surgery.
>On the other, I don't want to be just treating symptoms if we're not
>positive.  She doesn't mind her pred, but, I'm worried that it might
>mask something in the future, making any other medical problems to be
>found late, or even possibly too late.
>
> 2) Maddie has gingevitis.  I want to have her teeth cleaned.  This
>will require sedation, so, should I hold off until she's had some time
>between her and the illness?  Or, maybe we could use the opportunity to
>take another CBC to see if anything has changed...?
>
>Thank you!

If we are considering EE - and I think that is justifiable, with her
digestive problems and a high eosinophil count - an intestinal biopsy is
probably a wise step.  EE is a disease that requires lifelong treatment
in the form of prednisone and dietary modification.  (These animals seems
to do better on a turky-based food rather than chicken-based.) I'd like
to either rule in that diagnosis and get started on the appropriate
treatment, or rule it out.  IF it is EE, then the prednisone will be
lifelong - in this case, as you try to wean her off it, the signs should
recrudesce.

In her case, you can combine the biopsy with the teeth cleaning (do the
cleaning as she is coming up.)

The link between elevated eosinophils in the blood and EE is a good call
by your vet, but it is not definitive, and I would be hesitate on
planning lifelong therapy based on the results of one blood test.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM