From:
Edward Colton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 1994 08:48:25 EDT
Dear Everybody:

Was delighted and pleased to get responses regarding "Chooch"
and his condition.

Dr. Williams requested that I give him the list of medications that "Chooch"
was on.  I called his vet, however, she is on vacation for the month and will
not be available.  I tried to get the nurse at the clinic to give me the
list, but she said she couldn't.

So, the next best thing is recollection!  I can't give names of specific
drugs, but this I do know:  For the first 24 hours of the onset of the
stroke, she treated him with steroids I.V.  She also did testing to make sure
that it was not a serious insulinoma attack.  After ruling out insulinoma,
she continued on her search for treatment.  Chooch was very fortunate that he
was always very "fit" and healthy, so his response to steroid therapy was
very effective.  She did give him several other drugs I.V., I just don't
remember.

When I took him home and he started to brighten up again, I began
"patterning" him, i.e. moving his legs, arms, neck, spine, all very gently so
he wouldn't atrophy on the right side.  At first he resisted, but after a few
sessions, he began to relax.  I also changed his diet somewhat to accomodate
his condition.  For the first few days, baby food and pedialyte was on his
hit parade, then I gradually added his favorite Iams Kitten Food and his
vitamins.  I also gave him a treat of a squirt of light Karo Syrup after a
lengthy patterning session.

Apparently, it worked.  He is now beginning to run again, chase the dog,
climb on furniture, and, he even tried doing the infamous
"lap rat war dance" across the floor.  It's been five long months since he
did that (also he did the "dook, dook") so I was thrilled!

Thanks so much for your concern as we really appreciate all of our "new
friends".

Love from us,
Franny and of course, "Chooch"