From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:16:57 -0400
Re:  8 in 1 Ultimate:
Shortly after the company was purchased by the Rayovac Conglomerate this
year they changed the formulation.  Exactly details of how much of the
protein is currently from chicken and how much from plant sources isn't
known.  They have pointed out that most is from chicken, but that's not
saying much, so right now it is a just a wait for more details.

I wish 8 in 1 would use not only their nutritionists but also some
consulting vets who know ferrets so that they can stop making trash like
the marshmallow treats and especially stop making blockage risk foods
like the ones with chunks of dried veggies, fruits, and nuts.  As a
co-moderator of the FHL I have had to stay up too many nights convincing
people whose ferrets had blocked completely to spring for getting an
emergency vet visit that night or the next morning since the window is
short for a full blockage before the toxins build up so high that the
chances of surviving surgery when it is needed are low.

Foods in general:

There are a pile of good ones, and individual ferrets' needs vary enough
that there is no such thing as an optimal food for all, because that
isn't even possible.  So, just use several of the better ones and
remember that no matter what is made there is always going to be someone
who complains.

Just a short note in relation to the Sadowski Rescue.  I do NOT know
what the breeders and shelters to whom she referred did ro did not do.
What I DO know is that I spend hours and hours and hours gathering
the information they would need for presentations (and some of those
addresses have changed this year.  for instance the Compendium is now at

http://www.avma.org/pubhlth/rabies_compendium_2005.pdf

and another resource now at

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5404a1.htm  )

Then Steve and I sprang for the money to send them, and we sprang
for a number of phone calls trying to get them help.  We even looked
(unsuccessfully) for a pro bono lawyer for them.  AND we did all of this
during a difficult time for us, too.

What happened?  The Sadowskis called up and yelled at us -- not once but
several times -- because we could not tell them how to do a petition.
We had already told told them that we did not know how to do that.  Nor
were we ever thanked for all the time, expense and materials we put in
to help them.  We help people, but we are not doormats, so we stopped
having anything to do with them.

So, it may be that some individuals do need to hear, "Shame." from them.
I don't know.  What I do know is that *IF* the yelling had stopped and
*IF* thanks had been given for what we'd done, and *IF* an acceptance
existed of what people simply can not do, then that would have gone a
long way toward more donated labor around here.  Steve and I help people
7 days a week, but when we get stomped on for what we can't do and never
thanked for what we do accomplish then we just don't help those
individuals any longer, and I suspect that most people probably respond
the same way when they are treated similarly.  So, if I am being sent a
shame for not doing even more then I am sorry to have to be blunt, but
that "Shame!" is incredibly misplaced, and I have to say the same for
anyone else in the same situation.

Meanwhile they are, of course, free to fairly use any link URLs I put
in the FML and elsewhere which may help them, ditto anyone else.

A first general note: when buying a new home do not only ask about the
township, condo organization, etc. pet number regulations but GET IT IN
WRITING from a figure of authority.  I know that they wish they had done
so, so perhaps putting that tip here will help someone else, at least.

Just a second general note here: it really isn't enough to assume that
people know that you are grateful when you help them, no matter who you
are or who those people who help you are.  A "thank you" goes a truly
long way in this world and it is so easy to express thanks.  I hope that
anyone here who has gotten helpful info from others remembers to thank
them, and a BIG thank you to Bill Gruber for making the FML possible
for all of us.  It is only 76 digests till we reach FML Digest 5000!

-- Sukie
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org