From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 10:13:17 -0400
Oh, I forgot and left it out of the FML letter, but I met Phoenix and he's
a LAMB --  a gentle, pale, silver ferret who is not at all shy or skittery.
Good hugger who doesn't get fiesty even when someone else is going through
the tube-tube instead of him!

I will NOT say what is in it, but you folks have GOT to read Bob Church's
biography in Issue 16 of Modern Ferret.  I read it to Steve and Coca Cola
came out his nose!!!!!  (Saw a PRE-view which is why I got to see it early.)

Oh, and OF COURSE Bob's definitions of hypothesis vs. theory (quoted
verbatum by Bill) are correct -- in fact, PERFECTLY correct.  Gee, now you
have heard that from Bob (Comparative Osteologist/Comparative Mammologist,
Bill, me (similar background to Bob's though from a primate aspect and maybe
with a bit more geo mixed in but not as advanced as Bob when health cut me
short), Steve who is my hubby (High Energy Physicist by training), etc.
Sources are only as good as those who write them and appartantly some
dictionaries have been written partially by people who did not understand
scientific process; must be the same folks who write that ferrets are wild
and vicious animals, and Manaists are barbarians and pagans...

The Times editor so liked the topic of how individuals pick and choose
technologies that the article with Steve in it wound up being much larger
and Steve's portion a subset, which is fine, because I get to read some
stuff I didn't already know <G>.  It's the lead article in the Circuits
(technology section).  In the N.Y. area the article in on pages G1 and G7,
with Steve's part under the bold print on page G7.  Don't know what pages it
will be on in the national version since those are laid out differently.
Turns out Steve Cisler started this ball rolling; he and Bonnie Nardi and a
very few others specialize in the anthropology and psychology of computer
and internet use (VERY fascinating stuff!).

Sukie