From:
Carla Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 1996 19:48:47 -0400
Well, Gaoth (pronounced "Gwee") went in for exploratory surgery this past
Tuesday.  Earlier this year, during the spring "wardrobe change," her vulva
had started to look irritated and swollen.  She was "scooting" a bit more
than usual (itchy bottom, as well as itchy everything else during shedding),
so we figured it was probably an infection or abrasion.  We treated with a
topical antibiotic, and the swelling receded.  A couple of months later, in
early June, the swelling returned and the topical antibiotic had no effect.
She was also losing weight, dropping from 1.5 lbs in March to 1.25 lbs in
late May, then to 1.0 lb in June.  (Her summer weight last year was 1.5
lbs.) Her coat looked good, she continued to eat well, and she remained
alert with only a slight reduction in her activity level.  (NOTHING slows
Gaoth down if she doesn't want to!  She was named the Irish word for "the
wind" for a reason!) She was tested for a urinary tract infection
(negative), put on a 10-day course of oral antibiotics just in case the test
missed something, and diet supplementation.  She gained back an ounce, but
there was otherwise no change.

Since Gaoth is still quite young (2 years old this fall), Dr. Rachael Klein
and I discussed the possibilities of an ovarian tissue remnant, as well as
adrenal disease, and we scheduled the exploratory for my next half-day off.
I took her to the clinic on my way to work, and spent most of the morning
biting my nails ragged.

She came out of the anesthesia well, missing only a patch of fur where she'd
been shaved for surgery, and her left adrenal gland.... Dr. Klein showed the
gland to me when I went in.  Instead of being smooth and firm, it was
nodular and slightly wrinkled looking.  We got the path results back the
next day - adrenocortical (sp?) adenoma, benign.

I was allowed to take her home for the night, with the understanding that
she'd be back in the clinic all day Wednesday for observation while I was at
work.  Mainly, Dr. Klein knew I'd "keep an eagle eye on her" over night, and
would know sooner than the night tech if something was wrong.  I also had
her home phone number, and the number of an additional emergency vet for
just in case.

Gaoth spent Tuesday evening "grogged out" in a padded sling against my
chest, and the night in a small cage next to me while I slept.  I fed her a
special "protein broth" every 2 - 3 hours (sustacal, Heinz turkey, water,
nutrical, brewer's yeast and bone meal).

The Littlest Princess has been taking full advantage of the extra pampering.
She felt perky enough to throw a royal fit on the way to the clinic
Wednesday morning - dumping dishes and causing general disarray in the cage.
She did NOT want to go back to that place that gave her such an awful
haircut!  ;-D She's continuing to recover well, and is already starting to
regain her weight.  The stitches will come out this next Saturday.

Folks have been asking the cost of a basic adrenalectomy (no complications.)
Gaoth's bill was $195 for everything, but Dr. K gave me a "frequent
customer" discount (I didn't know whether to laugh or groan at that), so I
only paid $165.  However, I would consider Dr. K's help a bargain at twice
that price.

GBUE
Carla & the Woozlemaniacs
Rio Grande Domestic Ferret Club