Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 00:03:02 EDT
Off to the East, the robin egg blue of the sky lights all the greenery
the most vibrant, brilliant shades of green I can ever remember seeing.
Powder puff clouds-like a dreamscape-slowly pass over head.  To the West,
the sky is pastel pink, pierced with white light streaming down to earth
at an angle.  It is the stuff movies are made of-here, in real time, real
life.

A lovely stiff, cool breeze blows through my hair, and moves the swings
at the park back and forth, inviting us to play.  Two seagulls land a few
yards away to pick at the left over jelly sandwich a picnicker has left
behind.  They share their fare without their raucous cry and winged
aggression, but as two lovers.

The lonely blue heron stands on one stilted leg beneath the weeping
willow tree in the shallows.  Ever still.  His strangest, angled body and
giraffe neck are my exotic eye candy each summer.  Always alone.  Every
year.  I wish for him a mate.  A family.

The largest family of geese born here this summer parade by-grazing on
the short blades of grass along their way.  All grown up now...from goofy
yellow fuzz balls to full grown Canadian geese.  Life has blossomed and
strengthened in the wetland... Or the fox family eats.  This family has
come through the most vulnerable months with all members alive and
intact.

Two black furious circles form in the lake, with bubbles popping by the
dozens to the surface.  I draw closer to the edge of the water.  Darker,
blacker, up to the surface; swarming fish appear to be square dancing in
frenzy circular style as they mate.  How late in the year this is for
mating.  Yet what else could this dance be?

Such mysteries in life are simply thrilling to me.  This day is utterly
glorious.  Maybe summers best.

Cheyenne, my insane ferret.3 years in a shelter.  I wore band aids for
the next 3 years because of you.  I thank God for the honor of knowing
you.  You wild stinker.  You came when called.  Sat, rolled over, begged.
And bit me if you did not get a stinky chicken treat in the middle of
every night...until you became ill.

You bit me running by to another room.  You bit me in the middle of a
leaping twist!  And when I TRIED to catch you to scruff you to teach you
not to bite me??  By George--You bit me Again!

I was the perfect person to take you home that day.  Bald, purple, dried
skin, biter.  We volunteered to take the ferrets no one had adopted stuck
in the shelter for years.  Mary picked you out for me.  I had picked the
sweetest blind ferret.  No.  You cannot have that one.  Cheyenne will be
the one.  She picked just right, didn't she sweetie?.

You loved life BIG time!!!!!War dancing, leaping, twisting maniac
Cheyenne!  I do not want to believe you did not feel and smell and taste
this day.

It has been too hot to take you out most days this summer.  THIS was OUR
day.  THis day was planned for just us.

But you have been with me every minute of every hour of this most perfect
day, my friend.  In my mind, and heart.  Did you ask God to make the day
like this for us?  Did you?

Your human earth mother, friend, and companion Are you in heaven baby?
You so missed Little and Wolf and Tiger.  You never bounced back after
Little.  Are you guys all together now?

No more suffering, my old one.  No more pain for you.  I will hold on to
this like a shield.