From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2009 12:58:20 -0500
One FINAL time (and this has been replied before, including recently):
YES, healthy ferrets who are naive of ECE DO get it with exposure. That
has always been the case. There is not reason to go so far as to inject
it. Exposure of naive and healthy ferrets was EXACTLY one of the major
original routes of transmission -- perhaps the major route -- because
early on it spread through exposed healthy ferrets at ferret shows.

No, the typical FML reader does not have only an eighth grade
education. I find my companions here to be very capable of
understanding what i send, or of trying to look things up when they
don't, the same way I look things up when they teach me. That's why
I send what i do. Now, the genetic piece on ECE is beyond the usual
for the vast majority of us, but that is why a lot of us have bought
ourselves specialized dictionaries and other resources, and use the
internet. I spend a heck of a lot of time, as my vision will allow,
looking things up so that i can learn just like most people here.
Besides, you asked for the info, so you got it, and i saw no reason
for me to spend ages breaking it down. I know you have enough smarts
to pull out references just like i do, and just like so many people
here do. Whether you have the inclination to do so is a different
matter, but if you don't want to share in the work that your own
questions create then why should i do it for you? Why should anyone if
you value their time so lightly that you want them to do your work for
them even while you appear to insult the general intelligence of the
list? That isn't meant to be a flame. It is meant to be a heads- up
about how such comments can read to others.

Edward, at this point it sounds, correctly or not, like you are just
trying to get attention, especially with you already knowing that I
lack much time and that with my visual problems I have limitations on
how much time I can spend on such work for others. Having talked with
you on and off for over 20 years I know that you do at times give this
impression, but not what the actual situation is on that score. Perhaps
it is just wordplay for you but you have difficulty in non-face-to-face
situations in knowing when you have gone too far. Certainly, I realize
there will be alternative explanations I have not considered, so this
is just so that you see how it seems from this vantage point.

People don't need to be shocked or badgered to be willing to talk with
others. In fact, getting regular correspondence usually works better
without those approaches. Then again, not everyone realizes when what
they write seems to come off in those ways.

To be more blunt: Nope. I am not going to look those things up for you,
Edward. I told you where you can look them up yourself.

For any FML members who want a fine basic piece on ECE:
http://www.afip.org/consultation/vetpath/ferrets/ECE/ECE.html

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: