From:
Susan Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 00:44:16 -0800
Lori,

Congratulations on your new baby and good for you for rescuing her! I
have a PetCo I regularly go to that, luckily, takes excellent care of
their animals. I've bought three ferrets from them ( all at different
times) and, personally, have no qualms about it. Those babies need a
good home, too! Another one of my ferrets, Milo, came from a privately
owned exotic pet store. This one I consider a true rescue. He was
starving and had a prolapsed rectum (the pet store owner told me that
was normal -- grrrr).

I think, no matter where one gets their ferret - a pet store, a
breeder, a shelter - really doesn't matter. They all need loving homes.
Some people are against pet store ferrets and the "big" breeders, like
Marshalls. I think reality tells us that Marshalls isn't gonna quit
breeding and selling ferrets to pet stores and pet stores will continue
to sell the ferrets. Sad, but true. I'm not advocating this at all.
It's just the way it is and it isn't those poor little ferret's fault
they ended up in a tank in PetCo.

I think the best we can do is speak out when we see the animals in
jeapordy. I did call the Houston SPCA on another PetCo, where the
ferrets were in a similar condition you describe. It got fixed. (I
think some heads rolled, too)

I don't know what the answer is. I personally don't think "boycotting"
these stores will do a thing to stop them from selling small animals.
I think the best we can do is keep a watchful eye out and speak out
when we see something wrong. And try to educate anyone who will listen.

Best of luck with your new baby! I just got a new baby, too, (from
PetCo) - a cinnamon I call Bailey!

Visit me on FACEBOOK! Search for Susan M. Baker
Read About My Life With Ferrets on My Blog!
The Ferret Factor at:
http://friskybiznus.blogspot.com/