From:
Inez Gowsell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 1996 20:50:46 -0400
Hi everyone!

I just joined the FML 2 days ago, although I was able to read it regularly a
few months ago from work.

I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and have one adorable 9-month old
monkey.... uhhh, make that ferret.  :) What a climber she is!  Her name is
Belphebe, or Belphebe The Adventurer, or beast or.....

She was a pet store ferret, spayed and descented *very* young and was
purchased by someone else.  I got her when she was 5 months old.  I have a
very small apartment and rarely cage her since my place is ferret-proof.  I
do cage her when I'm going to be out all day, especially if the caretaker
has to come in the apartment.  This is more for her safety than his.  If she
was running loose, she'd be out the door and down the hall, or trying to
help the caretaker with whatever he was doing!  ;)

She's not scared of anything.  I'm taking care of a cat right now (8 years
old) who is a real scaredy cat.  I turn on the vacuum and the cat hides.
Belphebe comes over to see what's happening and then tries to attack the
vacuum!!

When I first got her home, she was dooking almost constantly.  She stopped
doing that for awhile, but has started again.  Unfortunately, her favorite
noisy time is 5am and her favorite activity at that time is trying to see if
I'm awake - this is done by nipping at my legs or arms, or licking my ears!
I'm tempted to not bother setting the alarm for 6 anymore!  :)

She is a sable, i think.  She has a very light back and dark feet.  My other
ferret - that died several years ago - had a dark mask.  Belphebe doesn't.
Is she a sable or something else?

Enough intro.  The question.

A week ago Monday I noticed some swelling around Bel's vulva.  Since it is
spring - and she's 9-months old - I assume it's a botched spay.  I took her
to the vet on Saturday but she said that they need to wait at least 10 days
before they can test to see if she is really in heat.  The vet said I need
to bring her back in for an HCG injection and a progesteron test.  Depending
on the results, i may also have to go back for another appointment and/or
antibiotics.

Is this standard procedure?  I haven't gone back for the injection because
I'm waiting on a paycheque.  Given my assumption, I know she is okay for a
few days [week or two].  My other female was whole and was in heat for
awhile before I got her bred.

Have botched spays been discussed here before?  I read the FAQ information
on adrenal tumours - since a friend mentioned a swollen vulva is one of the
signs - but couldn't find anything on spays.  Does anyone happen to know
what, if any, backissues I can get to read up on this?

Thanks for your help and I'm glad to be on the list.

INEZ GOWSELL  Technical Writer  BA  ENFP  Ottawa Ontario CANADA |
      http://www.achilles.net/~gowsell/  [log in to unmask]   |
                        "Together, *WE* can.                    |
                          Alone, *I* can't."                    | Anonymous