From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 09:53:02 CST6CDT
I'm guilty as charged.  I answer privately.  Sorry.  I'll do better from now
on.  :-)

Kelleen - Squeeker is blind, lonely, and in a strange place.  You were
bitten because you smelled like ferrets.  He probably has never been around
other ferrets.  He is a fear biter.  Poor baby.  Alone and frightened.  Try
switching bedding and put a treat loosely hidden in them.  put the cage
where the others can see and sniff him.  Wash up before handling him.
Remember - he is frightened and lonely.

Teeth Cleaning - Dr. Snyder prefers not to ferrets under unless it is
absolutely necessary.  When Zephyr had to have his teeth cleaned Larry
wedged a syringe cap in his top & bottom fang to hold his mouth open then
the vet tech and myself held him while the teeth were scraped.  Zephyr
struggled and did get the cap out but seemed to settle down as soon as it
was out.  Larry was still able to scrape the back teeth.  Zephyr's gums bled
a little (ours do too) but he felt much better afterwards and actually ate
on his own when we got home.

Falling in Cages - Several options here.  1) put a large soft pillow on the
bottom so the landing is softer, 2) put an larger hammock lower so they fall
into the other hammock, 3) make the shelf a full shelf.  To do #3 you can
use wood or fomica paneling and cut to fit.  Add little screw in hooks at
each end and attach to the cage leaving enough room for the ramp area.

Gizz - Yesterday morning Gizz made it down the steps just fine.  Then he
started up.  1st step went o.k., 2nd step he looked up at me, I smiled and
turned away for just a moment.  When I looked back he was laying on the
blanket at the bottom of the stairs on his back looking up at me. :-)  He
was fine but his ploy worked - I went and picked him up and hugged and
kissed him.  The funny part is there is a ramp there for them to get up and
down on - he didn't have to do the stairs.  Silly boy.  Obviously he is
doing well.  Bright eyes and a shine back to his coat already.

Paw paw - We are sending healing wishes your way.  Remember, Can't keep the
good down long!

Hugs to all.  tle (aka Sprite)