From:
Mary McCarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 07:55:50 -0800
FYI - United is being sold.  This is why management decided to halt
production of vaccines (current stock of Fervac-D has an exp date of
August 2006) and ADV testing after Jan 25th.  I spoke with United
directly and that is what I was told.

I also wanted to respond to the post by Anonymous [DV]:

>First let me say that there is nothing wrong with the Avecon saliva
>tests.  I feel that they are more accurate than the United tests that
>everyone has been doing.  Why you may ask?  Because when I had called a
>few years ago and inquired why a test could come up inconclusive they
>explained that many things could throw the test

Avecon send in saliva tests match United results about 95% of the time.
However, the 5% that don't match are positive on United and negative on
Avecon.  I had one of those funky testing ferrets and even though she
tested negative on Avecon (instant test & send in saliva) many times,
when she passed I had her organs sent to the Univ of GA to help their
research and she DID have ADV (found it in her spleen).  So your claim
is not necessarily true.

I use both tests, myself, since no test is perfect.

>the time of sample taking it could throw a false positive.  If there
>is something on the ferrets foot when a sample is taken it could throw
>a fale positive.  To me Avecon is more thorough and more accurate,
>besides isn't it better to use the company WHO DEVELOPED the ADV test
>rather than a copycat company?

United has been doing ADV testing for many, many years before Avecon was
even created.  They are two entirely different tests.

>Second, I was told that after January 25th that not only is United NOT
>doing ADV testing anymore, but they will no longer be manufacturing
>Fervac D or Purevax....

United Vaccines does not have anything to do with Purevax.  Purevax is
produced by Merial and is currently available, although they have had an
inconsistant supply in the past.

Mary

Novel Beginnings Ferretry
http://www.geocities.com/novelbeginnings/