From:
Nancy Hartman CIS graduate student <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 1991 17:08:23 -0500
 Subject:  Ferret List Issue 201

Len,

Convienience jills are spayed by reaching into the vagina, pulling
out the uterus and ovaries, then cutting them off.  Therefore, you
wouldn't see any scar.

The problem with this method is that it is very apt to leave small
portions of ovaries behind which, later in life, could cause the
hormones to react making the ferret go into heat.  This puts
the ferret in the same risk as any unspayed female (aplastic anemia,
etc...).  This is especially dangerous because it is VERY difficult
for a vet to locate the piece of ovary that's causing the problem.

Also the uterine stump could grow into a sort of "large ovary", which
would have the same results.

I won't even go into the problems that spay/neutering at such a young
age has.  I think we've probably gone into that enough.  I'll just
say that IDEALLY you should wait until the animal is sexually mature
before altering her/him to have the best chance of a long, happy,
healthy life.

On a related subject, I should mention that descenting at such
a young age has it's problems as well.  Consider the size of the
kits you've seen in pet stores.  They get them at about 5 weeks old
now.  It is VERY difficult to descent an animal that small without
removing too much surrounding tissue.  This will cause the anal
area to be weakened, which will also cause problems later in life.

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                                   CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                                U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
                      Owner of Percy & Bree