From:
"Endel H. Randoja" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 20:18:54 -0600
Hi all,

I'm new to this list, and have joined to find out, from the most informed
people, as to what ferrets are really like as a pet.

I've just had brief contact with them in several pet shops, and have found
them to very playful, and well mannered.  Even the ones that were teething
and would chew on my finger or knuckles, didn't come close to biting as hard
as a puppy dog or a kitten (whose claws inflict more pain playing playfully
than any of the ferrets bite did).

They also seem to have only two speeds; complete stop, or full speed ahead
(the in between is the wind up and wind down times).

I must admit that they do have a very noticeable musky sent (my daughter and
I both rather like it though) that could throw some people off.

I basically have herd a few things that have put me off a bit from deciding
to purchase two ferrets as pets.  I have herd:

1. That ferrets are very territorial and will mark their territory, our
home, all over the place and very frequently.  And that the sent marking is
very smelly, "even worse than a cat's" as one person told me.

2. That ferrets, all ferrets, eventually bite, and become bad pets as they
grow older (seems hard to believe from my brief encounters).

3. That the ferrets odor becomes every increasingly more strong, and that
there is nothing you can do to remove, neutralize, or mask the odor.

Since very young, I've had dogs, cats, rats, guinea pigs, hamsters, rabbits,
mice, flying squirrels, chipmunks, horned toads, toads, turtles,
frogs/tadpoles, canaries, parakeets, ducks, chickens, cockatoos, macaws, and
topical fish.  I have always felt that this had only enriched my childhood,
and is something I would desire for my daughters.  And though I have not
seen anything that would send off any warning signs to me; I must admit that
I have only handled young ferrets in a limited capacity and surroundings.

I would really appreciate some very honest and as objective as possible,
information about ferrets so that I can make an informed decision as to
whether or not my children and myself should get them as pets.

Thank you,

Endel H. Randoja