From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:08:43 EDT
This is actually ferret related...

Last weekend I took Lily (my dog, who some people met at Ferrets 2000) to
the annual Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue dog festival.  The day's events
started with a "Parade of Rescues"--any dog who was from a shelter or
rescue group (not just YGRR's, but any shelter) could participate.  The
dog's person signed up in advance and wrote up a paragraph about their
dog--this could include the dog's background, if known, and something about
their life now.  Each dog then walked with their person through the ring as
the MC read the description of the dog that the person wrote.  As you can
imagine, many of these dogs came from backgrounds of neglect or abuse, and
now have wonderful homes.  To see the dogs while listening to some of their
stories and people's tributes to them, was truly touching.  After each
dog walked thru the center of the ring, then all the dogs walked through
together as the DJ played a couple of songs; I can't remember the first,
but I think it was "I bless the day I found you (Let it be me)" and then
"You Are the Sunshine of My Life." Maybe you had to be there, or maybe my
words don't do it justice, but I don't think there were too many dry eyes
that afternoon.

Anyway, I thought it might be a fun idea to do at a ferret frolic and a
way to highlight what wonderful ferrets come from shelters!  People could
either sign up and write their descriptions in advance, or there could be
forms available at the door and the event could be held later in the day.
I know it's something I won't soon forget!

Ronnie
(Massachusetts)