From:
"Charles Weiss D.V.M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 1995 11:36:38 -0500
Steve, colleen and Ripple,

>11yrs old, vomiting, enlarged spleen only abnormal finding

There are many things that can cause an enlarged spleen.  This may or may
not be related to the vomiting.  Enlarged spleens are usually caused be some
chronic source of infection, the most common is Helicobacter.  It can also
be caused by lymphosarcoma.  A splenic aspirate is an easy, quick way to
test the spleen for cancer cells.  This can be done without anesthesia on an
office visit.  The sample should be examined by a veterinary pathologist.  I
would do this long before surgery on a ferret this age.  To rule out
Helicobacter I would also consider a trial on amoxi, flagyl and carafate.
If Helicobacter is the cause you should see a fast cessation of clinical
signs.

Another possible cause of vomiting in an older ferret is a motility problem
in the stomach where food sits in the stomach too long.  Daignosis can
somtimes be made with barium series or a trial on reglan (an antivomiting
drug).  For a motility problem logn term reglan is effective.  I would be
very reluctant to do surgery on a ferret this age without first more
diagnostics and trial on courses of the meds mentioned above.

Dr Weiss
301-299-4142