Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 11:00:29 -0500
Saturday's weather went from bright and sunny to overcast to high electrical
storms.  Sunday morning the storms passed but the earth still wept for the
loss of one of its own.

It was about 4 weeks ago, I received an e-mail about 2 unwanted ferrets a
friend's son knew of.  Would I take them in?  Of course,  how can I refuse.
Unwanted to the point, the "previous" owner put them in a bird cage outside
for the friend's son to pick them up.

Cinnamon and Cocoa (sable) were tiny females.  They both got along well.
Loved to run dance and play.  The vet said they were about 1 1/2 old.  Both
were healthy when they recieved their first shots.

It's now Sunday, June 14, 1998, 7:3O am The storms have passed.  I went in
to clean the ferret room and check on all the kids.  I noticed in Cinn and
Cocoa's cage someone wasn't making it to the litter box.  I reach in to get
the two of them out.  Cinn is depressed.  Then I picked up Cocoa.  Cocoa is
is limp !  ?  I desparately fix duck soup and try with everything I know to
feed her.  She does take in food, but not eat.

I called the vet and will meet her at 10:00.  I again try to give fluids to
Cocoa, but her teeth are clenched.  She will not take anything.  I know she
is looking at the bridge waiting for the gate to open.  9AM She has lost
control of bowel and bladder.  Poops shows dark black stool, (stomach
ulcer or more), Next out comes the little bit of food she did take, but
undigested.  Her system is shuting down.  My heart is aching as I tell her
to cross if that is her Maker's desire.  Wrapping her in a warm towel from
the dryer and a plastic bag to hold the heat, we drive to the vet's house.

The vet confirms my thoughts her moments in this life are limited.  The vet
checks her heart beat barely there.  I ask to weigh her.  She has lost 4 oz.
As I lay her back on her towel, she moves her head over my finger, and puts
her paw on my other hand.  She is gone across the bridge to join Lami,
Rambo, and Mr. Murphy.

I come home and when the weather clears will return Cocoa to the earth.

No autopsy will be done.  It is too expensive.  Cinn will be isolated and
watched and pampered to ease her emptiness in the cage.

Margie