From:
John Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 16:38:17 EDT
Hi all;

I've been lurking for a few months.  I live in Pekin, Illinois (close to
Peoria) and am a part of a loosely organized group we call "Ferret
Connection" formerly known as "Peoria Area Ferret Connection" created by a
nice lady named "Ferret Mary".  The following are my opinions and do not
represent any other person or organization.

I've been owned by ferrets for several years beginning with my gift of
"Slinky" (albino) to my girlfriend (Dee) for Valentines Day in 1992.  Slink
was about 1 year old and was returned to my friends pet store.  He needed a
home and I took him to her house for the weekend.  Dee's initial reaction
was "I don't want a white rat!".  By the end of the weekend, Slinks kisses
had convinced her to keep him.  Later, as company for Slink, I purchased a
sweet girl "Loco" renamed "Dinky" from some people who couldn't keep her
any longer.

In 1993, I adopted "Weasel" & "J.R. Ferret" from another friend who
couldn't keep them any longer.  Then came "Striper" who was returned to my
friends store 3 times in 6 months.  My friend gave him to me to insure that
he had a good home as he was concerned about him.  (Yes, this is one of
those "greedy pet store owners" who is only concerned with the almighty
dollar).  "Garrett the Ferret" came with cage, toys, etc.  when the owner
found she was allergic to him.  I think I paid her $ 100.00.  Striper left
for the bridge in Nov. '96.  Garrett went to the bridge in May '97.  Weasel
left in July '97.

In 1996, Ferret Mary called Dee and asked her to foster a little girl for a
few days until she could be taken to F.A.I.R. in Westmont which is about a
3 hour drive for us.  Sadly, Dinky became ill and died on the operating
table trying to determine what was wrong.  Slink mourned (wouldn't eat -
nearly died except for duck soup, forced water, amoxi, etc.).  He wouldn't
accept the new ferret for several days.  Eventually, he realized that God
had replaced his Dinky with this new one who came to be known as "Lucky"
since she was rescued from a man who was going to kill her as the "chain"
pet store wouldn't buy her back.  (Now we know that she's named Lucky
because WE are so lucky to have such a sweet loving little girl.)

In August, 1997, a few days after Weasel died leaving J.R. alone at my
house, we got a call from Ferret Mary asking us to foster 4 ferrets until
the trip to F.A.I.R. could be made.  Dee adopted "Jack" & "Jill" because
they would eat "Totally Ferret" and I took "Rhett" & "Scarlett" who were
accustomed to "Marshalls".  They became "Bill" & "Hillary" and were God's
gift to J.R. (and his daddy who lost 3 babies and Cleo the Cat in 14
months) He was such a good little boy that he welcomed them.  J.R. was
never mean to anyone (furry or hooman) until his last week on earth when he
attacked Bill & Hillary incessantly.  I'm convinced that he did this because
knew he was leaving and didn't want them to miss him.  (You may not to
believe that - you didn't experience it).  J.R. died peacefully in his
sleep Jan 5, 1998

Slinky, after 2 adrenal surgeries is pretty much bald (as old men get) but
still very active and as loving as ever. He is, after all, "Momma's little
boy".  Recently he started getting "Timmy's Tonic", "Pet Tinic", and "Greens"
(Thanks Gary H.).

Lucky, Jack, Jill, Bill & Hillary are all happily, healthily "ferreting".
The love they give is invaluable.  They have all been Marshall Farms
ferrets.

Comment # 1 To: Bill Gruber Thanks for the effort involved in moderating
this list.  If you feel anything that follows is inappropriate please edit.

Comment # 2 To: ALL the contributors to this list.  Thanks for sharing your
ideas (even those I disagree with).  I have learned much lurking and will

Comment # 3 To: Bob Church - thanks for your permission to reprint your
"Daffynitions" in our newsletter.  You will definitely receive a copy of the
issue which contains them.  Further, thank you for the continuing efforts
i.e. Diet 101, etc.

Comment # 4 To: Glenn Johnson - you are surely welcome to disagree and
present your opinions regardless of your underlying agenda.  I believe that
in a free society we all have to judge for ourselves who/what to believe and
who/what to disbelieve.  For nearly 30 years I have sold things for a living
and have some experience in "puffery" and persuasion.  The ethics involved
in selling anything (even ideas) is a matter each person must grapple with.
You expressed your ethics and honesty when you suggested that people should
invent stories  "I heard that..." to upset other pet owners in regard to
California.  My grandfather taught me "Fool me once - shame on you.  Fool me
twice - shame on me."  If you are offended by that, I'm sorry.  My intent is
not to pick on you specifically, rather it is to remind those who get caught
up in "the end justifies the means" that truth is more powerful than lies in
the long run.  Just my opinion.  You are welcome to disagree.

Comment # 5 To: Those who bash MF.  While there are certainly things that
Marshall Farms does that I don't agree with, they have added uncounted happy
hours to our lives and have made efforts to legalize ferrets far greater
than they sometimes are credited for.  Yes, there is the profit motive
involved.  DID YOU RETURN YOUR PAYCHECK LAST WEEK ?  Aha!!!  - you must be
one of those greedy capitalistic people who believes in profit.

Think about it while you are trying to tame down the "biter" that came from
your small part-time backyard breeder without the resources or knowledge
required to provide the proper "hoomanization".

I will continue to love my babies (and accept their love) regardless of
where they happened to be born.  Just my opinions.

Sorry this got so long.  Back to lurking on my ancient 486.