From:
Leigh Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:00:45 EDT
Hi everyone,

I got a few responses to my last post about the genetics of Waardenburg
Syndrome and I thought I'd recommend a great book that lays down some
basic concepts that can help ANYONE understand genetics better.

The name of the book is- The Way Life Works (233 pages, paperback $25.00)
Authors: Mahlon Hoagland and Bert Dodson ISBN#: 0-8129-2888-1

This is a cartoony book, but it really covers the basics in a way that is
understandable and entertaining.  It has great illustrations and what I
really like is that it has some really good analogies that make some rather
difficult concepts really easy to understand.  I think this book would
give even someone with no background in molecular biology a basis for
understanding genetics at a decently respectable level.

It also does a good job explaining some of the developmental
biology/developmental genetics concepts that anyone interested in ferret
(or any animal) breeding should be aware of.

It seems like a kids book, but it's not really (I don't want anyone to
think I'm insulting them!).  I've shown this book to several Ph.D.'s and
they have subsequently gone out and bought their own copies.  It's a little
pricy at $25.00, but that's still a lot cheaper than a genetics text book
and it's a lot more suited to self-teaching.

If anyone gets this book, let me know what you think.

Leigh W.