From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 12:47:48 -0500
>From:    Mike & Jammie Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Shelter Adoption "Fee" Not Normal

I think you're missing the point the shelter is trying to make here.

If this shelter was just *trying to receive a service in exchange for the
ferret*, it could very well have been bought w/a cash fee.  Instead, (& I
would appreciate if you would go back to the shelter to confirm if I'm
correct) the shelter was making an assessment of the child's dedication &
long-term commitment.  You would understand this if you'd had as many
ferrets turned in to you because *my son/daughter doesn't take care of it*
or *my son/daughter is so busy*.  It's obvious to shelters that some parents
are willing to get anything their child wants to make them happy,
disregarding the life of the all too disposable pet as if it were a toy for
their child's enjoyment.

IMHO, this shelter is demonstrating a genuine concern for the care their
ferrets will receive once they go out the door.  Do you think it was too
much to ask of the child to demonstrate the kind of responsibility necessary
to take care of another life?  This shelter is devoted enough to say *put
your money where your mouth is.*

My opinions are my own & not necessarily those of the GDFA.

Juliana & all my dumped babies
FRODO - dumped by a young couple when he didn't fit their life-style
ROCKS - dumped because little johnny was going BACK to school
ANOLA GAY - dumped 1 day after purchase by a 20 yr who was living at home &
            thought she could do whatever she wanted
SNAFU & FUBAR - saved from a 14 yr old who was going to let them go because
                they smelled
TABU - dumped by a 15 yr old who moved back w/mom (who didn't want her in
       her house) & dad didn't want her either (where he was living when he
       got her)
CHAOS & TUXEDO - dumped at the back door of animal control
Juliana
Frodo, Rocks, Anola Gay, SNAFU, FUBAR, Tabu, Chaos & Tuxedo