From:
Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 1995 18:04:32 -0400
I asked the owner of the sick ferret to send me the info on his
little girl to pass on to the FML.  (he's not yet subscribed)
Again, if anyone can help him, please drop him a line or give
him a call.

- Nancy

--- message follows ---

     This is the info you requested.  After I got home from work today I
noticed that Abbey, my 10 month old female Silver Mitt ferret appeared a bit
lethargic.  Upon a closer look I noticed that her abdominal area appeared a
bit swollen and hard to the touch.  I called my local vet and they suggested
that since it was late (7pm, they were getting ready to close)I should take
her to Newark Animal Hospital.  You recall I've already had one bad
experience there when a lost a baby ferret during surgery for a rectal
prolapse.  I took her to Newark and when Dr.  Abbate looked at her he agreed
there was some problem.  After taking x-rays, he said the swelling was from
an enlarged spleen and that there was also fluid present in the lungs.  He
suggested a treatment of antibiotics, namely Clavamox Drops.  He voiced
further concern over the fluid in the lungs and said they could try to put a
needle in her chest to try to take some of the fluid out both for examination
and relief of the ferret, but said that the needle could stress her and make
the situation worse or that there was a possibility her heart could be
punctured.  I declined to have the needle and opted for the antibiotic.  The
doctor said he should see her again in a week or so.  I took her home and
isolated her in her cage per doctor's suggestion and gave her a dose of the
antibiotic.  As I write this she seems to be fairly okay although I am very
concerned over her slightly labored breathing.  I tryed to contact another
ferret oriented vet that I've dealt with in Pike Creek but could not reach
her.  Dr.  Flack could also not be reached, ber her service put me in touch
with a Dr.  L who called me and said he was also experienced in ferret care.
He is out of Lantana Vet Hosp and said that he was a bit confused over
Newarks prognosis and said that if it was critical that Newark would have
been more apt to strongly recommend an immediate drainage.  I had called
Newark again after I got home to confirm the dosage of the medicine and I
again asked the doctor about his prognosis.  He told me the situation was
serious with the fliud in th e lungs and if the antibiotic didn't give signs
of improvement within 2 days then he was giving a 50-50 outlook.  Please, if
anyone has any ideas on what's happening please call me at 998-2788 or Email
me at [log in to unmask]  Also about a month ago Abbey started changing
color, she was mostly sable colored but has lost al all her guard hairs from
her front legs to her rear legs and is now her fur is very soft and fuzzy
like baby fur and she is beige from front to rear legs.  Thank you for your
help and I'm waiting to hear from someone.  I am taking Abbey along with her
x-rays to this doctor in Lantana tommorrow morning.

Bye
Fred R.