From:
Alicia K Drakiotes / Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 11:37:34 -0400
To Steve and the fuzzball who is picky,

Ferretone by 8 in 1 is OK, however if you are not aware it should not be
dispensed per label.  Ferretone is very high in vitamin A.  Being a fatty
vitamin any dosage over what the animal is able to use is retained thus
causing a condition which is identified as vitamin A toxicity.  I have seen
several ferrets with this condition, and, though it takes 1 - 1 1/2 years to
develop the telltale symptoms you will notice after this time are : that the
coat seems to lack luster and the ferret appears unhealthy in coat
appearance.

To remedy this we (as ferret owners) suggest that you take your Ferretone
and mix it with OLIVE OIL.  A recommended dilution is 1/3 Ferretone, 2/3
olive oil.  This solution will be just as yummy to the ferret and only then
can you administer the recommended dosage on the label without risk of
overdosing the ferret on vitamin A.  ( You will also save some $$$ in the
end as you will only need to buy one bottle where you would have bought
three otherwise!) I have personally made calls to 8 in 1 and asked them to
address this by changing the dosage label if not changing the formula.  They
refused to take any action and seemed unaware and unconcerned about the
issue of excessive vitamin a dosage.  Go figure (sometimes it seems that
marketing is just making money huh?).

As far as Petromalt goes, it is a feline hairball remover and recommended
for ferrets as they will not usually cough up the hairballs.  However they
must (as with any new food) acquire a taste for it.  It might be necessary
to scruff your furry friend and coax it in the back of his or her mouth and
then remain holding until it is swallowed.  You should find that after 3-4
tries your ferret will in fact run and take the Petromalt as if it were
candy.  Thus making the remedy a game.

Good luck, and yes they are quite picky little guys.

Alicia the shelter Mom