From:
"Tigger Anon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 1989 21:09:23 -0500
I had 4 ferrets, three of them NEVER bit or nipped. They would open their
mouths and show their teeth, but if they ever got fingers into their
mouths they would be startled and spit them out. They also learned to sit
up and lick Nutra-Cal off fingers.

[Ours will grab, but have never clamped down, nipped or bit.]

This behavior has continued, even though there are times when I'm really
busy that they barely get handled for months on end. When I do get the
time (they have a *large* cage they share) they're always eager to be
played with, and have never displayed wild behavior.

The one that *did* bite would do so when he was put in adverse conditions
(like taken to Pennsic, and huge SCA camping event in the summer) and he
never bit me. The others simply loved Pennsic and all the extra petting
they'd get, so I'd just tell people NOT to put their hands near Kang's
face, and it would work fine. His biting tendency wore off when he got
lots of extra handling, and as he's gotten older. He hasn't bitten anyone
for a few years (he's 5 now). He seems to be (like some dogs or cats)
a one person ferret... when he's upset, he climbs onto my shoulder, where
the others have never exhibited quite that run-to-mommy behavior. He also
was kind of mistreated/starved at the pet shop I got him from, it was noon
when I'd bought him and took him home and went to play with him and he bit
me HARD and didn't want to let go. I found out he hadn't been fed all day
and that that group of kits seemed to only eat dry food moistened with
water (which was *not* what I had in the cage). I was under the impression
that unless ferrets develop a weight problem (none of my fixed males ever
did) that they should have food and water available almost all the time,
since they are so active.

[True - Nicia is on a restricted diet since she's considerably overweight
in addition to being undersized]

I'm due to have a baby in August, and while I won't leave my ferrets
unsupervised with the baby, I'm sure they'll be fine pets for the little
one to grow up with.

[congrats!]

Oh, also, I bathe mine in a bathtub with warm water. I wet them down, wash
them with Johnson's baby shampoo, rinse them off, and then fill the tub
with water and let them soak for a little while and paddle about. They seem
to enjoy that, actually. My oldest also loved standing under the shower
spray (we have the hand held kind, great for rinsing ferrets!) and would
stretch his neck up and settle down under it.

I'm rambling ferret experiences today I guess because my oldest just died
today, and suddenly I have the urge to respond to the questions and ask
some of my own...
                                        *Tigger*
-----------------------------
Reprinted from issue 9, Feb 8th, 1988:

Sent by: FMPMIS!scott

I recall seeing a query on rec.pets about removing the yellow oil stain from
a ferrets coat.  I hope the questioner has subscribed to this list as I have
the needed info for him and others.  I ran across a catalog called "ferret
stuff" put out by - RMRS
                    P.O. Box 5574
                    Roanoke, Va 24012
that was chock full of ferret specific products.  For whitening the coat,
they have Yellow Stain Out - Step One that is "a coconut oil base formula e
ed with protein.  Tearless, non-irritating, high quality shampoo specifically
developed for removing yellow oil stains from ferrets coatt and helps prevent
dryness....Rich and foamy, it has a neutral pH, is non-bleaching, rinses out
quickly, leaving the coat wwith a fresh, clean smell.  Special whiteners and
pearlescent brighteners add brilliance and sparkle to the coal."
They then have Yellow Stain Out - Step Two  "...specially formulated to ab-
sorb ferret body oils.  These oils cause the yellow stain of your ferrets
undercoat and guard hairs.  (this is a powder sprinkled on and brushed off)
they go on to say "cleans, texturizes, and deodorizes, brushes out easily,
leaves coat lustrous, works on all colors of ferrets, non-toxic, non-irrita-
ting, no abrasives or harmful additives".

This company has champion-bred ferrets for sale (mail order!) and will breed y
your female to a champion (if you mail or bring your female in!)  They have
ferret t-shirts (for both you and your ferret), stationary, bumper stickers,
buttons, notepads, and ferret hammocks so your little one does not have to
sleep on the cold wire cage (should you keep yours caged 8-})

Their phone number is (703) 362-4822 open from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm EST.
They accept visa and mastercard.  They state they are endorsed by the IFA.