From:
Debbie Hunton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:51:46 -0700
OK, I hope this doesn't cause a controversy, but I have a question about
adrenal disease (I know that's not the formal, official name of the
disease, but you all know what I'm referring to).

*My* summary of symptoms: Loss of hair, regression to pre-altered states
(agression in males, nurturing in females), swollen vulva in females,
enlarged prostrate in males.  Not all symptoms appear in all affected
ferrets.

*My* summary of treatment options: Surgery, lupron injections/pills (I'm
doing this at work, and now I'm questioning the name of the medication
and method of administering it, but I believe that's the right name), and
melatonin implants.  As far as I am aware, the second two simply reduce
the symptoms, and most likely have little or no affect on the actual
adrenal gland.

*My* summary of causes: uncertain, but possibly linked to the ferret
having too few hours of complete darkness.

So far, I believe all of this information to be scientifically accurate
as far as it is currently known.

However, what I don't know, and can't find any information on, is what
threat the abnormality of the adrenal glands actually is to the health of
the ferret.  I mean, I know the enlarged prostrate is a life-and-death
problem for many male ferrets.  But I'm curious - does the adrenal
problem threaten a ferret's life directly, does it increase chances of
other deadly diseases, or is there some other threat I haven't thought
of?

Feel free to reply directly to me via email, or I suppose, to the FML if
you prefer.  Thanks for any info you can give.

Debbie