From:
FerretMom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 07:49:32 -0000
Janice

>We depend on our skilled ferret vets to relieve their pain when it is
>obvious that it is needed.  I am of the conclusion that vet med is somewhat
>in the dark ages when it comes to relieving animals' pain sometimes.

I totally agree and this has always concerned me.  The wonderful backup
vet I use in Southwest Washington gave me a handout on pain when she did
surgery on one of my guys a couple months ago.  The handout is put out by
Fort Dodge Animal Health.  It is called "Treatment of your pet's pain...
is an important as treating their injury or illness".

The handout says the warning signs of pain are depression and or
inactivity, lack of appetite, aggressive behavior, gait abnormality,
inapporpriate vocalization, and changes in frequency or inappropriate
elimination but also notes that there may be no outward signs of being in
pain.  It also says "Any condition capable of causing pain in humans is
also able to elicit pain in animals".

Dr. Fletcher gives a shot of pain medicine after surgery.  I will find out
the name of the drug when I head up there for another surgery on Friday.
The effects of the pain medicine lasts for up to 48 hours and can be
observed because the ferret is more groggy than those not given pain
medicine.  You have to be sure that they get enough food and water since
they may not be as "with it" as needed to get proper nourishment.

Since pain can be caused by surgery, trauma, infectious diseases,
non-infectious diseases, and aging, we should be aware that there are
many situations that may require our assistance with pain relief.  If
you need pain medicine, so may your friend.

    -Carla Almaraz