From:
Nancy Busso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 May 2009 20:15:37 EDT
Some people have asked about my outdoor set-up so here's some answers.

During good weather the ferrets usually get outside once a week. The
other 6 days they have playtime loose in the house for 2 to 3 hours
each group, except for the youngest ferret named Tyki who is out 4 to
6 hours with 2 different groups. Outside I have a double play yard
(purchased from Ferret Depot) set on my decking in a part sun/part
shade area. I want a permanant set-up but my husband is not a
carpenter. I have tubes, blankets, toys, food, water bowl and a lasagna
pan filled with warm water. When I say some of my ferrets snorkle, what
they do is get in the water and push their heads around underwater,
looking for what, I don't know...imaginary fish perhaps? The snorkling
ferrets are also the ones that play in the bathtub and love their
"showers" when I leave the faucet dripping. I also have a bin that was
the bottom of an old cage that is filled with beach sand. They love to
dig and roll in the sand. For Oliver, who is blind, deaf and has liver
cancer, this is a little bit of heaven and he spends his entire time
outside going bonkers in the sand. Dainty little Dax never puts her
hind feet in the sandbox and simply goes around the edge digging with
her front paws. The ones that dig are given lax when they get inside
just in case they may have swallowed some sand. One person emailed me
and said they used potting soil, but I have a box turtle and know that
potting soil is never used for turtles because of the pesticides that
are in it so I am assuming it would be harmful to ferrets also.

They are never left alone outside and during the time outside they
are individually given walks on the grass, either harnessed or loose
depending on the ferret. I have 2 blind ferrets and a crippled ferret
that don't need a leash because they just don't wander from my side.
Most of my ferrets are older and ill....one person called my place
"God's Waiting Room"....but I do have a couple of younger ferrets, one
who was privately bred, HUGE, gorgeous and a jet-propelled nutcase! He
is the only one that is not happy outside....he is afraid of birds. I
can understand being afraid of the hawks and vultures which is one
reason the ferrets are never outside alone and why I want a permanant
place with a roof but the little songbirds singing send him diving
under the blankets. He doesn't walk, run or dance around the play yard,
he slinks, carefully looking around for "predators". I usually give in
to him and cradle him like a baby for most of his outside time so that
his imaginary monsters don't hurt him. And did I say that he is HUGE....

Nancy in OR with her oldies, sickies, reformed biters and one fraidy
ferret....