From:
Eileen Ledbetter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 12:57:01 -0400
Hello everyone.  It's funny how you can skim past articles on the list, and
they don't sink in because they don't pertain to you at the moment; but
when it finally does pertain, boy, do you wish you had paid more attention.

My two (never sick) ferrets, Abby and Larz, have been hit with green slime
disease.  I took in a lively little albino ferret for a week while her
owner went away.  She came with her cage and all her paraphenilia and
up-to-date shots.  At first it was love at first sight and all fun and
games.  I was proud of my two for being so accepting of her.  But now it
turns out she is like Typhoid Mary and is a carrier of green slime.  Abby
came down with it yesterday.  I took her immediately to the vet and got her
started on amoxicillin and carafate.  By the evening she seemed a little
better and actually played a little and took a couple of raisins.  In her
favor is the fact that she is chubby and will have weight reserves if she
doesn't eat for a while.  Also, we seem to have caught it early.

Larz came down with it today and I immediately dosed him with the meds I
have for Abby.  My question is, is there anything more I should be doing
for them?  I am monitoring and making sure they drink.  Since it is early,
I'm not worried about their food at the moment, but I bought turkey and
chicken baby food to have ready in case I have to hand feed.  The vet will
do IV fluids if necessary if they dehydrate, but hopefully it won't come
to that.

My little boarder is leaving tomorrow, thank god.  She is a real cutie and
I will miss her youthful vitality, but not the pestulance she brought!

Sorry I didn't pay attention to posts about green slime when they came up.
I sure would like to hear from some of you who have been through this.

Thanks so much.

Eileen