From:
Kathleen Marie Crombez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2008 10:21:02 -0500
I am not sure why your fuzzy would be eating cotton, but I have
experienced something similar with two of my babies in the past. I
had two fleece night gowns that I had given to the fur kids to use as
bedding. They are very soft and warm and cuddly, so I thought they
would like them. One of my ferrets started chewing on it. Not really
eating and swollowing it, but just chewing on them. I could hear the
squeaking sound as he would bite down on it. And now they are riddled
with holes. It looks like moths had attacked them. Many years later I
got another little boy who would do the same thing. And interestingly,
he only chewed on the same two night gowns. Never any of the other
bedding they have. I thought maybe it was to just satisfy that chew
earge, so I bought cheweasels and other chew toys. But nope.... they
wanted to chew the gowns. It never seemed to pose a problem, and I
remember having a cat many years ago that would chew on a blanket I
had. As long as they did not swallow it, I figured it would probably
help heep their teeth clean. Now, this material is not the same as
cotton, so you may have more concerns than I did. But I thought I
would share my experience with you. I have had over 30 ferrets over
the years, and only two of them have had this habit.

Kathleen