From:
"Bruce H. Williams DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 1995 12:12:11 -0400
To Kurt Springs:

>The vet told me that the black spots were black-heads, ie zits.  He told me
>this could simply be acne, or it could also be an adrenal tumor.  Since she
>is still alert, active, and has a good appetite, we decided to put her on
>some acne medication (OxyDex gel) and see what happens in six weeks.

        Kurt - I think that's prudent in this situation.  Hair loss restricted
to the tail may be seen in some animals on a seasonal basis without any adrenal
problems.  It is only when the hair loss proceeds fruther upt he animal away
from the tail that we start worry about adrenal disease.

        Acne is a common disease in many animal species.  While cats and dogs
tend to get it on the chin, ferrets may develop it on the tail.  Careful, but
not overzealous, cleansing should take care of the problem....

--
Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Department of Veterinary Pathology
[log in to unmask]               Armed Forces Institute of Pathology