Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 18:03:31 EST
Hi everyone!

Years ago I thought about getting a fennic fox...cutest darn things.
They were selling them at the pet store I found Mini Me in. The man
said they were domesticated and that one of his was taken around to
hospitals to visit sick folk, as it was so tame.

I talked to my vet about it at Midwest Bird and Exotic Animal
Hospital... the head honcho there who had worked with Zoo critters. He
just about took my head off in an understated manner when I asked him
what he thought of me getting a fennic fox.

What he said was that vets have no ideas how to help a fennic if it
becomes ill, or how to operate if an operation is necessary or what
kinds of parasites they might carry. And no matter what the pet store
owner of that time said...the fennic fox is a wild animal. WILD.

I looked online and emailed a few people with the foxes. They have a
very strong odor, cannot be trusted around small dogs or children. They
had no luck potty training. The poor animal got stuck locked in a
basement in a large cage. And the smell was terrible.

I am just repeating what was told to me by a leading exotic vet and
what people with the foxes emailed to me.

A baby bear is cute when it is little and helpless. But then it grows
up, and you never know what it could do. It's a wild animal Lisette.
The fennic fox is a wild animal...The vet said something along those
lines. Seemed amazed I was thinking about it.

Better find a vet that treats fennic foxes before you do another thing.
Talk to him or her. Do you need a special liscense to keep a wild
animal where you live? Where will you keep it? Are they nocturnal? Do
your homework. I bet you will change your mind.

Best wishes in your decision making.
Lisette