From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 09:49:19 -0400
I just wanted to add my opinion since everyone seems to agree that you
should cage your ferrets if you are not home or sleeping.  I don't agree.
We have a very thoroughly ferret proofed section of our house in which the
ferrets run free 24/7.  They get two bedrooms, a bathroom, and a hallway.
We have never had any problems with this setup and feel that it is very safe
for them.  We only have two ferrets, so it wouldn't take us any longer to
get them out of the house in the event of a fire than it would to get them
from a cage.

On the other hand, when we are visiting my in-laws, they stay in a very nice
ferret condo.  This is not as much for safety as it is to protect their
carpeting and furniture.  <g>

I might also add that the few times that our ferrets have gotten into
vaguely serious trouble have been when they are OUT of their "safe"
zone--either outdoors, at someone else's house, or in "downstairsland"
playing.  All of these times they were supposedly "supervised" by us.  I
think this proves that there's no substitute for vigilant ferret proofing.
Also, when they are caged at "Grandma's" they seem perfectly happy to sleep
in their cage and play when we are home for them, so I don't see any problem
with caging them if it makes you feel secure.

One more thing--if you have 18 ferrets, whether they are in cages or not,
you will have a lot of trouble getting them out of the house.  Unless all 18
are packed into two or three kitty carriers at night you still have to run
to all the cages and grab the fuzzbutts and put them in the carriers and run
out the door.  Assuming you can put three ferrets in each carrier and that
you can carry three carriers per trip, that's still two trips.  That means
that nine of your caged fuzzbutts may die in the fire because no one in
their right mind would allow you to go back into the house for those three
remaining carriers.  I hate to worry anyone, but there are hazards with
having too many living creatures in one house.  That's why cities have
zoning laws.  As for Kelleen's crew, at least the babies can run out the
door on their own if it's left open for them (bad idea in a fire, tho).

Thanks for letting me play devil's advocate,
Catherine