From:
Catherine Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 17:22:43 EDT
Hope everyone and their fuzzies are having a nice, safe summer!  I just
wanted to share with everyone something that happened to us the other day.
It just goes to show you can never be too careful when little ferrets are
involved.

It has finally decided to be summer here in Utah.  So, in the interest of
safety, we have put the window air conditioners upstairs (with the openings
securely blocked, I might add!) to assure that we don't have any unwanted
guests in our apartment.  (If you saw some of the things that went on in my
complex, you would understand!)

The ferrets are now confined to the upstairs for their own safety.  It
works well, since it is cool now.  Well, the babies decided to play in my
son Andy's room while he was at work.  Elsie managed to get herself in a
predicament that I never would have thought of.

Things are pretty well ferret proofed (or so I thought) up there, so we came
downstairs.  I was talking on the phone, when Angel, my youngest, decided
to go get a ferret to play outside.  She comes running down, hysterical.
MOMMY, HELP ELSIE!  HELP ELSIE!  I hung up from my call and ran up the
stairs, fearing the worst.  My sweet little girl had somehow pushed the
sliding closet door open (right where the two doors slide right by each
other in the middle) and got her head stuck.  She couldn't get out, and was
frantically struggling trying to free herself.  I ran in and shoved the
doors apart, shoving the one off track to get my little girl free.

When I picked her up, she was drooling and shaking, but otherwise unhurt
and VERY glad to see Mommy!  (Oh, the kisses I got!)  Even though she could
breathe, I guess it was the shock of being stuck.  Thank God Angel went
upstairs or we didn't go anywhere with the babies out of their cages.

The moral of the story is, even if you think their safe, ALWAYS check.  You
can never tell what they'll get into.  I'm just glad her little guardian
Angel was there with her.

Catherine, Pato, Snowball, Hubert and Elsie
"Behind The Zion Curtain"