From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 10:46:09 -0500
>From:    Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets and Medical Issues
>...we need to realize that not all vets are familiar with ferrets
>and their ailments.  I know from personal experience how deadly a vet can
>be  to our fuzzies when the vet knows little to nothing about them.

AMEN!  Running our shelter's web site, I get lots of e-mail from ferret
novices and I can't tell you how many horror stories I've heard concerning
misdiagnosis and improper medical treatment of ferrets.  One FML'er who's
from Miami can tell you about the two he lost to improper medical
diagnosis/care by a vet around here.  And from personal experience, I almost
lost Sidney in 1990 when I went to a vet that was inexperienced with
ferrets.  I knew less than he did at that time, so I can relate to new
ferret owners that are lead astray by unknowledgeable (at least when it
comes to ferrets) vets.

Yes, there are good and bad in every field.  Spending lots of money and time
on vet school doesn't make someone infallible or change their personality
from know-it-all to one that is willing to admit they don't know everything.

>From:    Gary Holowicki <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: So how about this ferret diet?(raw meat); food list
>I think americans avoid raw meat because our supply is in so terrible
>shape, health wise.  I don't know if it makes the news over there, but
>people die here from eating even restaurant hambergers that are not cooked
>enough to kill the bacteria that has come into our meat supplies.

Once again I have to bring up the talk our club got by a local holistic vet.
In regards to the worry about bacteria in raw meat, he said that the meat
can be washed in FOOD GRADE hydrogen peroxide.  I didn't know there was such
a thing and I would recommend one check with one's own vet before taking my
word on this one.  Also, I believe (but I claim no factual knowledge) that
most harmful bacteria exist on the surface of the meat (with the exception
of something ground up like hamburger) due to improper handling and exposure
so it does sound like this peroxide wash would be effective.

>From:    crimescene <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Dade - Broward Ferts
>Lets see if we can get some Dade - Broward Ferrets and their owners
>together....

I've already e-mailed Stephen in private, but if there are any other South
Floridians lurking and thinking the same, look no further.

Our club meets the first wednesday of every month and December 6th we're
having the Second Annual Ferret Fun Fest with the usual ferret competitions,
raffle, garage sale, etc., etc.  If interested, send me e-mail for more
info.  Provide a fax number when you e-mail me and I'll fax the flyer for
this event.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue, Inc.
*
* Visit our web site: http://www.gate.net/~mjanke