From:
"Bruce H. Williams DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 07:09:32 -0400
To Dick Bossart concerning the non-eating ferret:

        Dick - I know that you've gotten a bunch of good replies on this, so
I'll make it brief.  Stress is probably the major cause of non-eating ferrets.
Stress can result in gastriculcers and gastric bleeding, which makes the
ferrets not want to eat.  Blood in the stomach causes low-grade nausea.

       Best bet - keep going with the Duck soup, but try to get the animal on
something that he can eat himself.  The Dr. Williams tried-and-true chicken
baby food is good in this regard.

       Most helpful treatment - probably a lot of attention and love.  Ferrets
love to be hand-fed - when we have one that won't eat, we take hours with them
daily offering food and water and plenty of attention.