From:
GREGORY P JOHNSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:43:43 -0500
An article on Monkeypox had been printed in the Milwaukee (Wisc.)
Journal-Sentinel recently, and is currently available at www.MSNBC.com.
http://www.msnbc.com/local/wtmj/J46860.asp

The main thing in this long article were two paragraphs where Jeffrey
Davis, Epidemiologist at the Division of Public Health in Wisconsin,
slandered ferrets.  I'll save you the search and long read by quoting
those two paragraphs.

>From venomous snakebites to other forms of attack, injuries to humans
>also are not rare occurrences. Davis said his office has investigated
>several cases of ferrets attacking babies.
>
>"Infants have an odor reminiscent of young rabbits, and ferrets prey on
>rabbits," he explained. When they attack babies, "they shred, they use
>their claws and teeth," he said.

This is quite ugly.  As an epidemiologist, Davis would not be qualified
to speak about ferret behavior - and his willingness to use his position
to promote ignorance shows.

I am in no position to properly respond to this slander.  This person
has the power to do a lot of damage, and I would not want to let my ill
feelings get in the way of an effective responsible reply.  Which would,
I hope, get him to correct himself.

I am sure there are more qualified persons who are associated with this
list.  Someone who can calmly evaluate this.  What can be done about this
kind of thing?

Thank you.

Greg Paul Johnson,
Madison, Wisconsin