From:
Caitlyn Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:43:11 -0400
Hi, everyone,

Alexandra's post explaining poofing was very informative, not to mention
very funny.  No, poofing is not wardancing.  Yes, it is expelling a nasty
odor from scent glands.  All pet store ferrets and most that come from
shelters are desecented.

We experience poofing first hand.  Our Podo and Kodo were originally lab
ferrets and were never descented.  When they were probably around four
they were adopted out.  They went through three previous owners, each
of which got rid of them after about a year.  I guess there was only so
much poofing they could take :(

Well... we brought home two stressed out, flea and ear mite infested
seven year olds two years ago in August.  Kodo adapted quickly but Podo
was not happy for quite a while.  What does an unhappy ferret do if
frightened or stressed?  You got it.  He poofs.  You immediately change
clothes and take a shower if he poofs on you.  It really does stink.
OK, it dissipates fairly quickly and it's not as bad as a skunk, but it
is very unpleasant.  Poor Podo was joking called "Podo Poofster" for a
little while.  You can't safely desecent seven year old ferrets so the
scent glands had to stay.

A ferret with scent glands intact will poof any time he gets excited.
Kodo is known for his "happy poofs".  He's given kisses on the face and
a poof to the chest many a time.  He really wouldn't understand why he'd
get put down after that and want to be picked up again.  He was just
saying how happy he was.

Podo and Kodo are absolute sweethearts.  We wouldn't give them up for
anything.  They poofed far less once they were comfortable with us and
our other ferrets, but happy poofs and "we're just wrestling" poofs still
happen.  Old age is catching up to them which I guess you have to expect
from nine year old ferrets.  Their poofs, though, are just as potent as
they were more than two years ago.

All the best,
Caity and the non-stop nine