From:
"Schwartz, Lisa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:51:11 -0500
I have adopted ferrets from a shelter.  In fact two of my three were
adopted from Rocky's Ferret Rescue and Shelter.  I think Barb is right
about people who adopt from shelters getting the benefit of having the
shelter as support.  I've gotten ferrets from pet stores, from private
breeders and from shelters.  The one of the best experiences I've had
is with the shelter.  I'd moved by myself from Michigan to Maryland and
wanted a pet of some kind.  I hadn't had ferrets in a few years and
decided that they would be a perfect pet for someone who was never sure
when she'd be home.  I looked at pet stores and contacted some private
breeders in Maryland.  I "thought" I wanted a baby.  I decided to contact
a shelter mainly because of cost concerns.  I found Rocky's to be closest
and sent out an email to them.  Barb got back to me right away and a date
to come look at the ferrets was set up.  I drove to the shelter just a
few days after Christmas.  There I met Barb and the current shelter
residents.  She talked to me for over an hour, that was on top of several
emails, about what I knew about ferrets.  I went home that day with 2
ferrets, neither of them young, that I've cherished for over a year now.

Through out that year I've been able to use Rocky's as a place to go with
questions, to make new friends and more.  I've in turn tried to help by
doing my "shelter duty" (I'm now a professional poop scooper!) going
adoptathons and educational outings as a volunteer.  Adopting from
shelters has nothing to do with cost now, but has everything to do with
the "family" I got when I went there.

Not all shelters are going to be as nice and helpful, that is true, but
many will be.  Rocky's is not the exception; no it should be the rule.
They ADV test every ferret that comes in, they take them for a vet check
up and get them their shots before they leave and most importantly they
keep in contact with those that have adopted ferrets from them.  If I
don't email her, I most certainly can expect an email from Barb asking
how everyone is doing.

You don't have to be directly involved with the shelter, but if you want
to they welcome you with open arms.  It has been a great experience and
I'm glad I chose to drive over an hour to find a shelter rather than go
20 minutes down the road to a pet store.  Nothing against pet store
ferrets by the way.  One of the best ferrets I ever had was from a pet
store.  I just chose to adopt from a shelter this time (and probably
every time now!J.)

Thanks.
Lisa Jo