From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:14:15 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Jeff Haremski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Question for a vet
>What exactly were the "medical" issues involved in the Kodo case?  I heard
>some mention that it is believed that ferrets can be carriers of rabies...

The medical issues are whether ferrets can transmit rabies to people. If so,
which strains of rabies? Studies are currently going on to determine these
facts.

>From:    Mark Andrew Pendl <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Jerry's Adrenalectomy Monday
>The main reason why I am posting is to ask for suggestions for caring for a
>post-op ferret.  Jerry goes in to get one (hopefully) adrenal gland removed
>Monday.  I have stocked up on NutriCal, Ferretone, Kitten formula Iams,

Most ferrets do well post-operatively.  Monitor their incision for redness
or swelling, monitoring their stool consistence and eating/drinking.  If
there are other ferrets keep them separated for a few days (2+ days).

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA